So you’ve made the decision to provide a loving home for a dog. Now it’s your responsibility to take your time, do the research and make sure you are not getting a puppy mill dog. A puppy mill is a commercial dog breeding facility that is all about profit, where dogs are kept in the most inhumane and cruel conditions! These animals are continually bred until they can no longer produce. They are confined in small overcrowded cages, suffer from malnutrition, exposure, and little or no veterinary care. According to the Humane Society, there is an estimated 10,000 puppy mills in the United States. Puppies that are bred in these mills are shipped to pet stores and directly to consumers all over the country, very often without food or water for 12 hours or longer. Ignorance is not bliss. You should know where your puppy comes from.
- If you buy a puppy from a pet store, you are supporting puppy mills and supporting puppy mills is cruel!
- Don’t be fooled….most pet stores do sell puppies from puppy mills. They will tell you they come from some wonderful happy place, but it couldn’t be further from the truth. Many of these puppy mills that sell to pet stores don’t even have the required license and are not held accountable.
- Beware of scam websites. Get references and verify the reputation of an online seller or breeder.
- Find a responsible breeder. You should always see where the dog and it’s parents were raised. Most ethical breeders will not sell their puppies to pet stores.
- Consider adopting a dog from a local shelter or rescue group. When you adopt a pet through a shelter you not only help your new pet, but you also create space for the shelter to help another animal in need. You are saving a life and helping end the cruelty and cycle of puppy mills.
Everyone can help shut down puppy mills by refusing to give them money. Don’t buy a puppy or pet supplies from a pet shop that sells puppies and supports puppy mills. It is estimated that 2.11 million puppies are sold that originated from puppy mills every year and 3 million others are killed in