We love our dogs, but every now and then they get into things they shouldn’t. Sometimes it’s something harmless, but other times the things they eat put their well-being at risk. How do you know when it’s the latter?

  • The following items are toxic or otherwise dangerous for dogs:
  • Insecticides and rodenticides
  • Chocolate
  • Mushrooms
  • Bleach
  • Alcohol
  • Raisins
  • Cleaning liquids
  • Human drugs (ibuprofen, Prozac, etc.)
  • Certain plants (poinsettias, tulips, etc.)
  • Lead paint
  • Xylitol (found in candy and gum)

Please note that this list is nowhere near complete. Never give your dog something simply because it’s not mentioned on this list! Check with a vet first.

So how do you know if your pet got into something harmful? How do you know when you need to act? Check for these signs:

  • Diarrhea, loss of appetite, and vomiting. If your dog refuses to eat their favorite food or throws up everywhere, this is a sign they might have eaten chocolate or even a poisonous plant, among other things.
  • Nosebleeds or bruising. These symptoms might not seem too serious at first glance (perhaps they bumped into something, right?), but don’t brush them off. They could mean your dog got into rodenticide.
  • Seizures. Should your dog experience a seizure (a scary and worrisome situation, for sure), be aware that they might have digested anything from insecticides to alcohol to tobacco.

Never, under any circumstances, give your dog human medication in an attempt to help them feel better. We can’t stress this enough. Let the professionals handle the situation. Follow their instructions.

With some caution and a lot of preparation, you can keep your pet safe and healthy. If you suspect anything, call your vet or a poison hotline immediately.